We heard and learnt the fascination story of the Old Trust and other charities linked to the Town.

John Dawson and Allen Forsyth are members of the “Old Trust” or more correctly “The Incorporated Governors and Assistants of Queen Elizabeth’s Grammar School Ashbourne” established by Royal Charter on the 15th July 1585 and which required “three discrete, good and honest governors and 12 assistants”.

Today their primary function is looking after the many alms-houses and administering the charitable gifts left to the town over 500 years.

 

Comments are closed.